Medfield Parks & Recreation Rules & Regulations
These rules and regulations shall apply to all parks and playgrounds in the Town of Medfield (hereinafter public areas) under the jurisdiction of its Parks and Recreation Commissioners.
These rules and regulations are adapted and promulgated under the authority vested in the Park and Recreation Commission under Massachusetts General Laws (Chapter 40, Section 21 and chapter 45, section 24) as well as the Town of Medfield charter and by-laws.
All public areas shall be open from dawn until dusk unless posted otherwise.
D. Use of Public Areas
1. No person shall enter or leave any public area except at the designated entrances and exits.
- No horse shall be ridden or driven through any public area without prior permission from the Parks and Recreation Commission.
- No person shall, in any public area, have possession of, or discharge, any weapon, firearm, air gun, firecracker or fireworks; or throw any stone or missile; or set any trap or snare; or injure or disturbed or have possession of any wild animal or bird; or injure or disturb any animal, bird, bird nest, eggs or wild fowl.
- No person shall, in any public area, annoy another, or act in any manner that is offensive to others, or beg or canvass for alms or donations, or utter any profane, threatening or abusive or indecent language or loud and raucous outcry, or act in an obscene or indecent manner; or pitch a tent, drink or be in possession of or under the influence of any intoxicating beverage; or have an instrument of gambling or play any game of chance.
- No person shall take part in any parade, play any radio or tape recording, or use speakers or amplifiers loud enough so as to annoy others, or organize a meeting of twenty or more people, without the written permission of the Director of Parks and Recreation or his/her designee.
- No dog shall be permitted in any public area unless such dog is held by a leash not exceeding seven feet in length. The owner or person in control of dog shall pick up after them in public areas in accordance with Article VII of the bylaws of the Town of Medfield. No dogs are allowed on any athletic field. No dogs shall be allowed in children's playground areas or play area, basketball or tennis court. No dog shall be permitted to drink from public drinking fountains.
- Archery and golf are prohibited in all public areas. Sporting activity shall take place only in areas that are specifically designated for such uses.
- Swimming and wading are allowed at Hinkley Pond only during summer hours of operation.
- No person shall set or offer for sale any food, drink, or merchandise or any description in any public area, or solicit or conduct any business in any public area, without written permission from the Director of Parks and Recreation or his/her designee.
- No group, school, association, or other organization, may use any public area for a particular purpose such as picnics, parties, theatrical or entertainment performances, or athletic games or matches, unless a representative of the group, school, Association, or other organization has obtained written permission from the Parks and Recreation Commission for such purpose. The Parks and Recreation Commission shall grant the application if the group, school, association, or other organization will not interfere with the general use of the park by members of the public and if the said group, school, association or other organization meets all other conditions contained in the application. The application contains a requirement for an indemnity bond to protect the town from liability of any kind or character, and to protect town property from damage.
- No person shall drive a motor vehicle in or through any public area or allow any motor vehicle to remain in any public area except on duly authorized roads or parking areas. No person shall park any motor vehicle in any public area except in designated parking areas, and only during normal hours of operation. No person shall park in violation of a posted notice or on any grassy area.
- There shall be no parking in any public area between dusk and dawn, or when area is not otherwise open to the public. No person shall be in any public area between dusk and dawn, except while attending a special function authorized in writing by the Parks and Recreation Commission.
- Parking areas are for the use of participants and users of Parks and Recreation facilities only. Commercial vehicles are prohibited. All other parking is by permission of the Park and Recreation Commission.
- No person shall operate a motor vehicle at a speed greater than 15 miles per hour in any such public area, nor shall any person operate a motor vehicle in any public area in violation of any of the provisions of G.L. c. 90, as amended.
- Any vehicles found in violation of any of the previous paragraphs 11, 12 and/or 13, above, may be removed by or under the direction of any Park and Recreation Commissioner or Director of Parks and Recreation or his designee. Posted notice prohibiting such parking will be placed in conspicuous locations in compliance with Massachusetts General Law. The removal will be at the expense of the owner, to a place where parking is allowed or to any area designated by the Town for storage.
- No person shall wash, clean, polish, prepare or perform maintenance upon any vehicle in any public area.
- No person shall operate any motorized devices, carts, scooters, snowmobiles or the like in or through any public area.
- Aerial devices will be allowed at Park & Recreation fields and properties by permit only. Any permits will need the approval of the Park and Recreation Commission.
E. Damage to public areas
1. No person shall mutilate, remove or the face property in any public area, including, but not limited to, any tree, bush, plant, fern, flower, turf, rock, gravel, building, structure, bench, fence, sign or any other object which may be located in any public area.
- No person shall sit, stand, lie upon or climb upon or over any fences, balustrade, monument, fountain, tree or any other that is not intended for such purpose.
- No sign, symbol, banner, notice, placard or other advertising device shall be posted, affixed or displayed within any public area without the prior written permission of the Parks and Recreation Commission.
- No person shall leave any article or debris of any kind in any public area. All trash must be placed in appropriate trash containers.
- No fires of any description shall be allowed in public areas without prior written authorization from the Parks and Recreation commission.
- No person in any public area shall fail to comply with any reasonable direction given by any police officer authorized employee or town official of the Town of Medfield. The Medfield Police Department and designated town officials are authorized to enforce these rules and regulations.
Violation of any of the foregoing rules and regulations is punishable under the provisions of G.L. c. 45, s. 24, which reads as follows:
Whoever violates any rules regulations for the government or use of any land always taken or held under this Chapter or for like purposes under any special act, and made under authority of law by any board officer in charge thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars ($300).
First Offense: $100
Second Offense: $200
Third and Subsequent Offense: $300